Allergies can be a troubling ordeal for your children at any age. Here are some symptoms and prevention tips to help out around the house.
Symptoms- Allergy symptoms often go unrecognized. You may falsely believe you have a cold or the flu. While the symptoms are similar, allergies can be differentiated. Common symptoms include sneezing, stuffy nose and itchy, watery eyes.
Risk Factors- Allergies can develop at any age. People who are most susceptible include those under age 40 and have at least one parent with allergies. Allergies can also change or disappear over time, while others recur at the same time each year and last for a few weeks or months.
Prevention- Allergists can perform skin tests to determine which substances are causing the skin to have an adverse reaction. Avoiding those allergens can help alleviate some symptoms, as can these preventive measures:
- Stay indoors on days when pollen counts are high.
- Keep your home clean and as dust-free as possible.
- Ask your allergist about the benefit of a home air purifier.
- Put pillows and mattresses in allergen-proof encasements.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with double bags or allergen-trapping bags.
- Try not to have dogs and cats in your home if you are allergic to pet dander.
- Choose hardwood floors with washable scatter rugs rather than wall-to-wall carpeting.